I recently did some multi day trekking and wild camping with a friend. Attempting to trek with little weight I took my Jetboil Sol titanium. Windy and cold I woke up morning two very tired. We hiked for a couple of miles until we decided it was time for some breakfast, before i melted my trusty stove.
Very tired I set up my years old, trusty Jetboil SOL titanium and boiled some water for some fresh ground coffee in my Cafflano (See here).Cafflano is amazing. I then got my frying pan out and put it on my stove….. I thought, this is taking a while, and realised I hadn’t used the pan adapter, and instead I melted the orange shroud. The igniter was all melted, and it was on fire. I put the fire out, turned off the gas and looked at the damage. The stove still worked, but was precarious when the cup was full of water.
I was devastated.
How to fix
I started googling how to fix. Jetboil’s site wouldn’t let me download the PDF for the ZIP SOL, so I went on to figure it out. It was easy in the end. It’s all about the split pin. My zip was actually a discontinued SOL titanium. Lightweight and low temperature special. It was the king of stoves, now no longer made.
Instructions on fixing a melted jetboil.
- Insert ignition sideways on, the unit will click when in place. Ensure the black bump is sideways and not on the top!!
2. Carefully thread the white ‘spark’ cable through the ceramic tube and curve it down, test to ensure there is a spark.
3. Position the burner into the orange shroud. Look at the notches, line them up with appropriate gaps. Two small, one Large. See Image
4.Turn the burner and shroud upside down and insert the valve. It only fits one way. Hold the three items tight.
5. Holding the three tight locate the hole for the split pin…squeeze the three items lightly, and if necessary gently (Don’t stretch the ignition cable) spin the burner, to enable the split pin hole to appear…
6. Insert the split pin, totally. Ensure it is all the way in…..
7. Does the assembly feel solid? It should feel like one, with no bits rattling.
8. Adjust the white wire so it isn’t stressed, and is away from the base of the burner.
Drop me a comment if this helps….. Please try it in the open air, if in doubt DO NOT USE.